One Country, One Big Impression: Japan Diary #6

So my Japan trip has come to a close. Since it was a little while back I'd be going I'll give you a quick run down of what happened after Nikko.

Returned to Justin's place in Yotsukura to have a few days of relaxation and bike rides to the grocery store. Named my bike Shania since it was yellow, had a sweet basket and overall made me feel like a woman riding it but I didn't mind. Was taken out to dinner by a man named Mr. Niitsuma who was a prominent figure in the community and friends with Justin. In short he was the man, and was extremely welcoming towards me. He brought two bottles of very nice wine and with help from Justin translating taught us about mixing wine and fish. He paid for everything, including the cab ride. Unbelievable and that night will go down in history as not only some of the best food I've ever had, but one of the most enjoyable nights I've had. Went back to Tokyo for a few days to hang out with Dan & Friends. Went out and caught some good pictures/videos of Tokyo including some shopping down in Harajuku, something I didn't really accomplish in the early days of my trip. Fell in love with the best looking girl I've ever seen in my entire life on the train. Our romance lasted 7mins and no words were spoken. Met up with friends for dinner in Shimo-Sitazawa, got smashed and passed out. Hungover and exhausted stumbled my way back the next day to Dan's and napped. Got up, went back out, dinner and drinks again and finished the evening at a bar called Mother in Kabukicho (red light district of Tokyo). It was a pure Rock n' Roll bar and likely the best bar I've ever been to in my life. Hands down. Songs by request, relatively no lighting other than a dim red light illuminating the back of the bar and pen lights to pick your song(s). This place was LOUD, but very chill. Included a man passing out on the floor and a cute Japanese bartender trying to pick him up to take him outside. Gin & Tonic's, Joy Division's Digital and good friends made for an excellent final night out in Japan. Took a packed train back to Kichijoji, Tokyo, went to the store, met up with some of Dan's local skateboarding friends/fans and a Santory whiskey highball (curtesy of one of the guys) and hung out. Flew back home and helped old Japanese people put there things in the overhead compartments and work their entertainment centers.

Overall the trip was unbelieveable. It was what I needed and wished for going over there. It seemed I was over there forever but looking back it was a mere flash. The best element of the entire trip was thanks to my friends I never really felt like a tourist, but more of someone who had just moved there. It was an amazing experience and I don't think I could go back because it wouldn't be as epic. But I'll be back.

So as I was there I noted a number of my impressions in my journal. Here are just a few.

(1) Tokyo Shibuya Station had more people in one place than I'd ever seen in my life. It was a never-ending cycle of faces.

(2) Everyone uses an umbrella. It's rare to see a soaking wet Japanese person.

(3) Extremely friendly, polite and humble people. More pronounced so in the rural areas than the city. Always say "thank you very much," even at convenience stores.

(4) Many ares have no sidewalks so caution of bikes, scooters and cars.

(5) Advertising in Tokyo is absurd. Its everywhere.

(6) Everything is given to you with two hands (eg; Giving a bill back as change is with two hands)

(7) Japanese people can sleep anywhere & anytime. Espeically on the subway/train.

(8) Japanese DO NOT litter. They will carry cigerrette butts around until they find somewhere to dispose of them. It's insane, but sooo great. The city streets are extremely clean and well kept. Ottawa needs to learn from this. The streets of a city estimated over 12 million is about 110% cleaner than the city streets of of 1 million? Its disgusting.

(9) Resturants are more informal but much more effective. Need to flag down your server instead of them coming to you by saying "Sumimasen" which is like "excuse me." No tipping doesn't seem to make any difference to the wait staff. They are still polite and quick.

(10) Drink anytime, anywhere including buses, trains and subways. Walking down the street with a whiskey highball (whiskey soda) was a common practice at times.

(11) No stripclubs, but there are Host clubs and Sex clubs in Kabukicho, which is an experience in itself. Holy hell, what a crazy place.

( 12) Cold green tea is the drink of choice and is found everywhere.

(13) Popular look for young females is to strive to look like a doll. Cute dress, hat etc. Think Anne of Green Gables with a little more fashion sense.


There are more, but you'd have to talk to me in person to get them all. I could go on for hours about it. If you have questions on anything I've talked about, fire off a comment or email and I'll get back to you. And no I did not get a Japanese massage.

Overall I can't even really explain how I felt/feel about Japan and my trip over there. None of the pictures or videos will be able to convey my feelings, emotions or mood of myself and what was around me. I can try to explain and recap my journey, but it won't be as effective as going there yourself. I'll be going back again sometime in my life. Big ups to Justin, Dan, Hanna, Damien, Shuhei, Gota, and all the other people I met there for everything.

Here a picture timeline.










No comments:

Post a Comment